Administrative Assistant and Data Specialist
Accountability: Reports to Director of Stewardship and Development
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Effective date: July 15, 2019
Principal duties and responsibilities:
The Administrative Assistant and Data Specialist is an essential member of the Development team. Primary responsibilities are to serve as the administrator for all aspects of the donor database including, data input, lists, queries, exports, and special reports. Ensure that the database is an effective, accurate, and efficient tool for the Development Office as well as other offices in the Chancery and throughout the Diocese of Salina. Serve as a database subject matter expert for internal users. Provide general assistance to the development office as needed.
The development office requires interdependent work among its staff. This individual must be able to work cooperatively with others in a friendly and supportive manner. The person in this position should display personal initiative, professionalism, and creativity. Must always exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Record, in an accurate and timely manner, all gifts and pledges to the Diocese of Salina, issuing charitable receipts, and making sure that the appropriate person sends acknowledgement letters.
- Create queries and reports as needed for data analysis. Provide regular reports on all appeals as needed. Supply the finance office with reports as needed, including the annual reports for the external auditors.
- Prepare report for finance office to monthly reconcile gift entries with their accounting records.
- Process online gifts to the Diocese of Salina. Investigate errors and exceptions, and prepare appropriate correspondence to resolve their issues, (i.e., expired cards, rejected transactions.)
- Process monthly electronic pledge payments and recurring gifts, credit card as well as direct debits. Identify late and lapsed pledges for appropriate action.
- Ensure pledge reminders are sent on a timely basis according to donor’s wishes.
- Ensure tax statements for constituents are sent according to IRS regulations.
- Prepare mailings including letters, envelopes, and attachments, as needed.
- Load gift documentation and related donor information into the CRM and assure its accuracy.
- Assure that parish data is collected and imported into database.
- Troubleshoot and promptly resolve any errors and problems in donor records. This may include researching inconsistencies; resolving old, inaccurate, and duplicate records; updating donor addresses and contact information.
- Train and support database users in other departments with constituent and related data entry. Act as first line of support for database issues and technical support.
- Manage user permissions by determining processes needed for each job, while protecting sensitive information and database integrity, in collaboration with Chancery IT department.
- Keep current with database updates through training resources offered by database vendor.
- Ensure all database records are properly backed up and appropriate disaster recovery procedures are in place.
- Develop and keep current a Procedures Manual for all database users in the Diocese of Salina.
- Develop and implement document retention policy for the development office and assist in organizing, filing, and archiving of hard copy and electronic records.
- Assist in the organization and implementation of events managed by the development department.
- Interact with donors, clergy, parish staff, and constituents on the phone, electronically, and in person, as a representative of the development office.
- Maintain confidentiality of all development office activities and donor information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Willingness and ability to support the mission of the Catholic Diocese of Salina by supporting the directives of the Bishop. Prefer candidate to be a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church.
- Minimum of 2 years of work-related experience with a CRM.
- Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge or RE-NXT is preferred as well as familiarity with report and query functions of Raiser’s Edge or RE-NXT.
- Experience with office technology including MS Office suite of products, printer, copier, postage and folding machine, and telephone.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects and set priorities to meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy in data entry.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other members of the department and the Chancery.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Desire to serve others by creating opportunities for charitable giving.
Physical Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.